6.18.2010

Sob Story

Once again another Exciting work story! yes most of what gets my creative juices flowing are the endless strange people I meet on a day-to-day basis. So, a woman comes in on a wheelchair/scooter hybrid type deal. You know, a Hoverround. Anyhoo, she comes in and I'm takin' care of her, then as soon as she brings up her condition, Lupus, I know I'm in for a sob story. Maybe I'm too used to my fathers' attitude about having a severe case of muscular dystrophy and not really bringing it up at all, but she just had to let everyone know. Yes she has lupus. It's sad. But not sad enough. She then has to go on with how she got into a collison by going through a yellow and getting hit by someone who did not watch her go through the light. Again, sad. No that's not even enough for her, she goes into the gory details, how she was thrown from her seat and laid conscious but in extreme agony on the ground. Extremely sad. Then how she'd not been given help by the man that collided with her, and laid on the ground screaming for help. AWFULLY SAD. So that's the end of the life story, correct? You are mistaken. Said woman goes on to explain to myself and the two other ladies I work beside how she had sued the car company, and the gentleman, and lost. How she had to switch insurance companies as a result of all the previous. It seems the company would not cover her for ADA requirements inside of her house. Even though she had one ramp set up already, mind you. She lost her case because of claimed negligence in responding to GM in the proper time frame for her seatbelt and airbag malfunction. This is unforgivable on the part of GM, but. But, I cannot help but think that some of this is exaggerated.

Now don't tell me I'm being insensitive. How can one not be moved by such claims. But something else has to be said for the readiness with which she was able to share all of her hardships with all of us. Why would she want so much sympathy? Why the constant claim of being boxed in a corner and being maltreated by the system..accompanied in no small part by her own actions? I think that she is in a wheelchair, which is an awful situation I do not wish upon anyone, yet something is wrong. Her own actions caused the accident, and she should know that things can be much worse.

Back to my previous comment, my father. He knows things can be worse, and keeps a positive attitude and talks about it as little as possible.

As far as the worse goes, she could have died in Afghanistan, fighting for imperialism. She could have been killed in that accident. She could have not existed. She could have been shot point blank on the highway. She could have not been an American with the opportunity to afford an automobile.

Things can always be worse, it's a positive outlook that counts. Personal whining about being dealt an unfair hand is so trivial it makes me sad. Try a weekend in Iraq, then get back to me.

1 comment:

  1. i agree dude.. it could have been alot worse.. complaining doesnt get u anything.. i firmly believe that ' wat doesnt kill u, makes u stronger' (or stranger if u like the Joker version..)

    ReplyDelete