6.12.2010

Bye Bye Facebook

So I deleted my account off the ever popular site yesterday and I feel good about it. I'm sure many of you techies and social network pimps out there love all the positives you get out of this website. It's been gaining in popularity ever since its inception and now to the point where many are seeing aunts and uncles and even grandparents getting on board. However, what has Facebook really ever done for me is a question I seek to answer.

Maybe it didn't work or help me because I didn't have enough friends. If you want to be specific, I had about seventy five friends when I deleted my account. However, the people I have seen in the past four years that were on my "friend" list number in at less than fifteen. And currently, I haven't seen any of them. This of course excludes my immediate family, and a couple other good people. So why the extension of my social life? I can't quite answer that. Maybe I had some vein hope of seeing if i could find old acquaintances and get reintroduced through a different format. Either way it seemed that every time I had a thought or some kind of random quote, nobody really cared. I'd get maybe one or two return posts from the real friends, and never even so much as a "hello" or "how's it going" from the rest of the crowd. I know I'm not the coolest individual in the world, but come on. So, to me, a facebook friend is about as meaningful as a promise from a President. It's all a lie. The people with five hundred or a thousand friends must have all the time in the world. With that kind of friend support I could organize something positive, say a benefit to stop Country Music Festivals in Downtown Detroit? A support group for recovering reality show addicts?

The other thing that made me stop was the absolute lack of actual contact with any of these people. It seems that a facebook friend would only get to know you so far anyways. And since I'm not a cute lady, I didn't have people lining up around the corner to make an effort to talk to me. Even so, it seemed like the actual getting together would be impossible with any of these acquaintances. When you add someone out of curiosity, it makes you come off as a weirdo or a loser. Whereas, meeting the same person on the street may form into a meaningful friendship. There's a certain dividing line when it comes to the internet, which I cannot explain.

So, I have cast off the spell. And really, it feels good. I no longer have to read people express their ultimate happiness in having the "Best Boyfriend/Girlfriend Ever", a ticket to the local sports venue, or that they're in a bad mood (unhappy face). Most of the time these people have little to discuss anyways, which is fine by me. Until then I can live with isolation until I find someone worth talking to, that doesn't define themselves by their "Status", and can think for themselves.

"It's so easy when your friends are dead, it's so much easier when you don't even care." -Jay Reatard (R.I.P.)

No comments:

Post a Comment