10.30.2010

Are Scary Movies Really Scary?

It's Halloween. You're either excited because of one of a few reasons. First, because you're five. You get to dress up, go out, guided by your parents (if you aren't lucky enough to live in a gated community), and get all the free candy you can get. If you are older than ten and trick-or-treating, then you are too old and need to go home and stop it. Secondly, you may be excited because you get to also wear a costume. Yet you're not five nor ten years old. NO! You are in your college years and get to go to a Halloween Party. What excitement! Booze, and girls just slutty enough to dress up as Sexy (insert word here). Well go and have your fun my bretheren. Just make sure you don't drink and drive as it is, count it, double the fine on Hallotweekend for DUIs or suspected ones.

Or, maybe you're like me.. no friends to count on. Just passin out candy to the young ones and digging on some Halloween type scary movies. However, I don't like them. My girl is the avid horror-flick lover extraordinaire around these parts. To be honest, it takes a lot to get me to sit through a movie that is not a comedy. I just don't have the attention span. Watching an hour and a half of crap that passes off as a movie nowadays for Hollywood is comparable to a full-scale Lobotomy. It is not worth it eight times out of ten. However, when it comes to horror movies, it is even more of a drag to bring myself to watch these ones. They just are not scary. Maybe I'm too much of a realist to be conned into the leap of faith that requires belief in the "paranormal". Half of the time I'm just trying to either figure out the plot, guess who's getting killed next, or waiting to find out who the killer is. That's most of the enjoyment I get out of them.

As far as scary goes, not so much. The type of self fooling that goes into being scared by these movies isn't gonna happen any time soon. For instance. You don't believe in God. Good for you. You go see a movie where religion plays the major part in the movie, and requires belief in "said god" to get the enjoyable effect of the movie. Whether it be fear of the devil, spiritual enlightenment, or godlike intervention amongst the characters; you won't care. You'll hate the movie, and more likely than not be laughing and just sort of putting it down in your head till the end. So since I don't believe in the undead and spirits, or God, this happens to me in horror movies a lot. It just doesn't grab me as much as others may be grabbed. So Sue Me!

Let me know If this makes sense to you, or if you've felt a similar thing with movies that you don't enjoy.

Happy Halloween, unless of course you're an adult. In which case, have a decent Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment